Storytime!

Tuesday, 14 September 2010
So in this post there are a lot of things I could talk about. I could describe the trip to the black box theatre, and how, somehow, no one else seemed to notice when of all the wrong names Jason could have said, he came out with "Stacey" during that name game. I could whine about the maths homework I had to do to catch up on a missed double today (no idea what we did in stats and as for French, I'm just very confused). Or, I could spaz about how much I love Two Steps From Hell, because I love them more than I usually do today.

BUT NO!

Today it's time for a story.

So, after we got home from the workshop, I popped into the common room to get maths. There I encountered Amy Grace, and offered to give her a lift home. So we walk out to my car... I get in straight away, but she takes an awfully long time. At first, I think this is because she's putting her stuff in the boot, but no, she gets in without closing the boot, and still has her stuff. And she's giggling. And John's lurking behind the car... I conclude that John must have opened the boot in some sort of practical joke failure, it being a failure because when I stare at him confusedly out the back window he just laughs and closes it for me. Mentally shrugging, I close my door and start rummaging for my glasses. I really hate driving without them, I feel like I can't see properly and am going to crash ahhh. It's upsetting.

THEN. I hear a laugh that's neither mine, Amy's, nor John's, and as far as I can see no one else is near enough to my car for me to be able to hear them so clearly...

At this point I realise there is SOMEONE IN THE BOOT OF MY CAR.

Amy notices my realisation and immediately whispers to me "Start the car and reverse a bit, just to freak him out!" I'm very amused by now, so I do this, never mind that my bag's perched precariously on my lap, I haven't found my glasses yet and I haven't even put my seatbelt on!!

There's a squeak from the boot. Giggling, I reverse the rest of the way out. More squeaks and a slight thud.

John's standing against his own car with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face (such a poser), but once I've reversed out the whole way he starts to walk over. I think he must be going to let my stowaway out... but no... he gestures for me to put my window down. I do, and he whispers, so my poor stowaway can't hear, "Drive down to the bottom of Knockchree Avenue, you can let him out there." Because there's someone across from me wanting out, I aquiesce to this demand, quickly find my glasses, put my seatbelt on, and DRIVE.

So then my poor stowaway really starts to freak out. I get out the school gates in one piece, but feel like I've forgotten how to drive - I turn round the island in the middle of Knockchree Avenue without indicating, whoops. Then again, people forget to do that all the time, and most of them don't have their attention torn between the road and the rearview mirror, in which Josh's head has just appeared.

So then I'm driving down Knockchree Avenue, and I can see James, Mark, and Mark's little sister (incidentally, before this I didn't know what she looked like!) in the car behind, looking slightly puzzled. Or maybe that's my imagination, because the situation was surreal enough that everything was puzzling for me at that moment in time.

Josh is now practically wrestling with the - lid? what do you call that thing? - of my boot, and complaining that it won't move to let him out. This is distracting.

He eventually wins this battle, and literally ROLLS over the top of the seats in the back, and sits down. I have no idea how I managed to not crash the car from laughing too hard.

The three of us then have a frantic discussion about WHAT DO WE DO WITH HIM NOW. Is he going to Mark's house?! After Josh waves at them enthusiastically we phone the people in the car behind (well, I don't, they do, I'm still driving, mostly) to find out, but no he isn't. Then we realise he had an SU thing, so it's ok that he's missed the bus. Then we realise my car has no back doors! Or at least, we realise this is a problem if we want to let Josh out at the bottom of Knockchree Avenue.

However, it is quickly solved! Amy Grace jumps into the back and Josh skillfully manouvers himself out. We bid him farewell, and Amy Grace climbs back into the front, asking as she does so if I mind her standing on my seats (I don't, I do it practically every time I need into the back, which is practically never anyway) and muttering to herself about how ladylike and graceful that was. Amy Grace amuses me.

And I just realised that concludes my story! (I won't include the part where I almost reverse into a tree at Amy Grace's house.)

0 comments: