Day 14 - Someone You've Drifted Away From

Monday, 9 August 2010
Dear human,

Ignore the strange greeting. I got sick of 'Dear you'. And - this sounds worse than it is, but it's the truth - you've always been the one I picked on most.

Sorry about that - I do feel bad, but you make it ridiculously easy.

But that's not the point of this letter, is it?

So, we used to be the best of friends - I'd go so far as to say you were my best friend for about two years all told. As in, there was a period of four or five years where you were one of the people that I called my closest friends, and during that time my best friend switched between two of those people. You were one of those two; therefore, you were my best friend for about two years in total.

Do you remember that time a few years ago at your house? I don't even know exactly when it was. But we talked about how, in a few years, we'd all go on holiday together.

And now it hurts. Even though I know full well I don't have the right to feel that way.

Because it's all my fault. If it wasn't for me, we'd still be friends.

Not that we're enemies - in fact, the very idea of you having enemies seems ridiculous, because you're so sweet! But no one can really deny that we're barely friends any more. We never speak. Not because we bear each other any ill will, but because there is NOTHING to say.

We used to be different in a way that was still compatible. You had this undefinable normalness about you, and I was, then, trying so hard to be normal. And it worked - we got on so well, and somehow, we found things to talk about.

You've become more normal, and I've given up all pretence. I found other friends that share the same personality traits as me, who I can talk to so easily. As I drifted away - taking one of your other closest friends with me - you found other friends that you had more in common with than we ever did - even if we never realised how different we were at the time.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I felt so guilty for leaving you for ages, but recently I've come to see that it was for the better for both of us. I used to miss you so much, but now I'm starting to realise that we're probably better off just as aquaintances. Because it's so much less awkward.

And let's be honest. We don't really need each other any more, do we?

-Emma

0 comments: