Day 18 - The Person That You Wish You Could Be

Thursday, 12 August 2010
Dear Me,

You are not me. I wish you were me, but you are not me.

Superficially, you're no different. Well... ok, your nose is a little bit smaller and you're a few inches taller, but I don't really care about that.

Family and close friends are the same, of course, I'm happy with all of that.

But inside. You care about others whereas I'm selfish. You have no aversion to exercise. You are a better driver. You're not so ridiculously awkward in social situations that you constantly have to resort to sarcasm as a defence mechanism when you're with people you don't know. You actually have some common sense. You actually care about the issues that matter in this world, instead of being so apathetic about them. You are very active in the church and not constantly plagued by doubts. You aren't bitter. The words you typically use to speak to other people are no different from the ones you typically use inside your head. You don't procrastinate. You do what's asked of you willingly and go the extra mile too. You love people - not just the ones you like, but the ones you don't like. You actually ARE as innocent as you seem. You have no trouble keeping the secrets of others, but you don't have any of your own. Well, maybe a few - secrets can be fun - but nothing important. Instead of slacking at your schoolwork and constantly assuming that natural intelligence will make up for it - which I KNOW is going to backfire on me dreadfully some day - you do the work you're supposed to, to the best of your ability. You are a bit more fluent in French. You don't feel the need to use fiction comme moyen d'évasion - at least, not as often. You know where to draw the line. You don't have quite such a sweet tooth. You are capable of enjoying quality films with absolutely no violence - okay, no, that's too much a part of me to want to change it ^_^

I could go on and on, but really, what am I doing? Just pointing out all my own flaws. I suppose, if I really were you, I'd be ridiculously perfect and boring, which I wouldn't appreciate. However, the most important difference between us - I can see all my flaws. You would be able to see them too, if you were real. But the difference between us is that you'd actually DO SOMETHING to fix them.

(Apart from the nose - no plastic surgery!)

-Emma

0 comments: